Coq Au Vin is a French dish of chicken braised with wine, mushrooms, and a jar of our Vermouth Tipsy Onions.
- 12 pieces of chicken, legs and breasts
- ½ cup of all-purpose flour
- 8 slices of bacon
- 1 jar of Sable & Rosenfeld Vermouth Tipsy Onions, drained and rinsed.*
- 16 small new potatoes, washed
- 16 small white mushrooms, washed
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp of dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp of salt
- ¼ tsp of ground black pepper
- ¼ cup of brandy
- 2 cups of dry red wine
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180°C).
- Dredge chicken lightly in seasoned flour. In a large skillet, sauté bacon until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towel, leaving drippings in skillet. Add chicken to skillet in batches, cook, turning, about 20 minutes, until light brown.
- In a large cast iron pot, layer chicken and bacon.
- Add onions, potatoes, mushrooms, and garlic to skillet; sauté 5 minutes. Add parsley stems (reserving leaves for garnish at the end), thyme, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Remove vegetables and herbs and place on top of chicken.
- Place skillet back on a high heat, add brandy and red wine, boil for 5 minutes, add chicken stock, boil for 5 more minutes, pour over chicken & vegetables.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes, remove lid and continue to bake for 1.5 hours Remove chicken and all vegetables with a slotted spoon to a serving platter and cover with foil.
- Place pot with sauce on high heat and boil rapidly for approx. 5 mins or until sauce is slightly thickened. Remove foil from serving platter and spoon the hot sauce over top. Garnish with the fresh parsley leaves that we reserved.
- *save the liquid, the vinegar taste makes for a delicious salad dressing.